Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Onesies and a Huge Surprise

WOD:

1RM's of Snatch, Clean and Jerk, and Deadlift

Then...

(Max-rep pullups + 10 box jumps) x3

I was feeling quite sluggish today as I started, but was happy with my overall numbers.

165 Split Snatch (same as last week, -5 from PR)
225 Clean and Jerk (+10 from last week, -10 from PR)
Failed 365 Deadlift

Something is up with my deadlift. My PR is 465, and 405x5. A couple days ago I got 315x5, today 315 was hard. I think my lower back is still having trouble "engaging." My deadlift has always been very hip and back dominant, and my back just isn't working too well right now.

I'm going to replace all front/back squats in my WODs with deadlifts, with the twin aims of rehabbing my injury and getting my deadlift back up to a respectable amount.

I left the strength portion of my WOD a little dejected as my deadlift sucked. Then I did something that really, really surprised myself. My previous max-rep pullup attempt was last summer, and I did 62, and it was *hard.* This is when I was a Crossfit monster doing kipping pullups and met-con out the ying yang, I thought *maybe* getting 40-50 today would be good.

So I put on some tunes, waited for a crescendo, and hopped up onto the bar for my first set.

When I got to 20 I was feeling it.

Then all of a sudden I was at 40, and another 10 flew by quickly to 50. Somehow I got a second wind or something up on the bar.

Before I knew it I was at 55ish, and told myself "you are going to shatter your old PR."

I flew by 62, re-gripped at 65 for the first time, again at 70, and stopped at 75.

Now I know how Matt Sera felt when he KO'd Georges St. Pierre:


Needless to say I was completely shocked with my performance. I have no idea how I did it, because I'm "out of shape" for myself right now (well, getting back up there pretty quickly). My only theory is that the several months of Olympic lifting before my injury just made my hips so much more powerful doing so many kipping pullups became easy, and somehow that strength stuck with me.

Thanks for coming out, see you tomorrow for a fresh new article.

One love.

1 comments:

Coach Clarke said...

DC
Badass JO 75 crazy

Post a Comment