Saturday, July 11, 2009

Random "Side Effects" of a Paleolithic and Low-Carb Diet

In this article, I'm going to go over some of the less touted effects that the Paleo diet has had on my life/body. The Paleo diet is well known for disease prevention and general health, not as much for the effects I'm going to discuss today. That's why I'm calling them "side effects," but they are absolutely not just collateral effects.

For anyone unfamiliar with the Paleo diet, watch this video.

1. Teeth/Mouth
It's well-touted that the Paleo diet has a positive effect on our teeth. Our hunter-gatherer ancestors all had healthy, strong teeth, and didn't have toothbrushes or toothpaste to clean up with.

Let me give you my own personal experience. As a child, like many of you, I drank a lot of pop and ate a lot of junk and refined carbohydrates. I also grinded my teeth in the night. As a result, when I was in my early teens my teeth became incredibly sensetive. Often, so sensetive that I couldn't chew any hard food with my back teeth, I had to kind of nibble on it at the front of my mouth to break it down. Sometimes for days on end. NOT good.

Around two years ago when I went Paleo, this pain went away. Nothing bothers my teeth anymore, not even after I cheat. After I would go out drinking before, my teeth would be sore for days, but not anymore. My dentist has told me that he is "shocked" that I have no pain, because the enamel in my back molers is almost entirely eroded away. He says he is surprised I can even eat.

Another thing I've noticed since going Paleo is that my breath is good all the time. Even when I'm hungover (like now), I don't have that horrible after-bender-booze-breath. I used to not go ANYWHERE without gum in my mouth. I was constantly chewing gum. If I accidently drove to school without a pack in my pocket, I would drive home to get some or stop at a store. It was bad. But now, nothing. Even if I don't brush my teeth in the morning it's still "neutral."

"Ewww, JO, you don't brush your teeth?? You're disgusting!!!"

Relax, I still brush my teeth twice a day, but I really don't know if it's necessary. The foods you eat on a Paleo diet actually seem to have a "cleansing" effect. For example, I always eat almonds/nuts before my other food. Often little chunks get stuck in my teeth, but then after eating my meat and fruits/veggies after my teeth are perfectly clean. Try it yourself. Eat some almonds, see how much junk is in your teeth, then eat an apple and see how clean they are.

Good breath and healthy teeth? Check.

EDIT::: When I say it may not be necessary to brush twice a day, I don't mean everyday. I don't have that kind of expertise. I just mean you can probably get by just fine if you miss a day or a brush every now and again (which you can anyways, even on a non-Paleo diet, but your teeth will still seem totally clean on Paleo).

2. Skin


You've all seen the commercial for Accutane right? "People say I eat too many chocolate bars" yeah? The doctors say that diet has no effect on acne, and it's all hormonal right?

"JO, I don't wanna hear about your gross face and bacne. And you're not a dermatologist."

I know I'm not a dermatologist, but listen to my story.

I've always had a little problem with pimples. Never really bad acne like some, but when I was in my early teens (surprise) and all those hormones started raging, I'd usually have at least one or two noticable pimples on my face. My back was quite bad for a couple of years (it still isn't perfect), to the point where it was almost embarassing to take my shirt off.

Big facial pimples went away after a couple years, but not little blackheads, nor the junk on my back.

A year ago, last summer, was the first summer I'd had while eating Paleo. And I noticed something. My back was clear. Like, completely. I was sweating like a beast doing Crossfit and often wouldn't be able to shower for 45min after a workout due to the school's location. You'd think sitting in all that sweat I'd have bacne like nobody's business right? Nope.

During my injury, I slacked off a bit with my diet. I was eating out more, cheating a couple times a week, etc... I noticed it. My back got bad again. Now that I'm back hardcore Paleo, guess what? Clean back.

Diet has nothing to do with it? That's what the dermatologists will tell you. But they also wouldn't have a job if everybody ate a clean diet, and wouldn't be able to sell you Accutane. I don't think that dermatologists have bad intentions and are conspiring, quite the opposite, but this is just how the profession views the "problem;" as being unrelated to diet, which quite simply, can't be true.

3. Energy


When I went to the chiro to get my back fixed, and he found out he was in law school, he asked me:

"JO, how many cups of coffee a day? Three? Four?"

"Zero."

"No coffee? What's your drug?"

"Diet and the gym. And maybe a cup of green tea if I want to feel like a ninja."

I made it through first year of law school without one cup of coffee. I don't drink coffee. I have more energy than most people I know. I wake up naturally around 7:20am everyday without the use of an alarm clock, and I feel good and ready to conquer the day.

Eating a low-carb, Paleo diet will greatly increase your energy levels at all points of the day, and there's not much else to say. If you feel tired and lethargic and worn out and exhausted, try going Paleo. I promise in a couple of weeks you'll feel fantastic.

4. Gas

Like gas? Didn't think so. Nobody does.

I am a guy, in case you didn't know, so I know a thing or two about nasty gas.

I'm not going to get into the details. Go Paleo, say goodbye to gas. Passing gas will become the exception, not the rule, and you'll be surprised if it ever smells bad. No more Immodium or Gas-X, no more embarassment. Again, don't take my word for it, try it yourself.

Of course there are an infinite number of more significant benefits of the Paleo diet, but you can find those with a quick Google search. I wanted to write this to give you some real, tangible, "bonus" effects of the Paleo diet.

What are you waiting for? Go kill a pig and roast it.

JO out.

11 comments:

Barbwire said...

This is awesome, thanks for sharing Jo!

Jay Hollenberg said...

Thanks, Barbwire!!!

Husbands and Angels said...

Hells yes! i'm off coffee biatches!!!!COFFEE IS EVIL!!!

Jay Hollenberg said...

Annnnnnd Holls how are you feeling??

Lianda said...

JO! Awesome depiction of benefits of Paleo Diet... I haven't had caffeine in 2 YEARS! and I'm pretty crazily energetic myself, from diet of course.. don't forget all the water we have drink! (2 liters at least)

Jay Hollenberg said...

Thanks, Lianda!

I'm pretty sure that you and I are the two most energetic people on Earth, and I don't think it's a coincidence :)

And yes, water all day!

Andrew Killion said...

Hey JO I'm loving the blog.
When you go out drinking do you just chalk it up to a cheat or do you fanangle your way into paleo-ing? I love eating paleo and all that but I like drinking too. Usually come sunday I'm drinking the struggle sauce and find it hard to get back into the swing of things. How do you manage to do both?

Jay Hollenberg said...

Hey Andrew,

Chalk it up to a cheat baby! Load up on the post-bender pizza and McDondald's.

I went out on Friday and had the cabby drop me off at McD's at 2:30am. I got 4 cheeseburgers, 2 for the night and 2 for the morning.

Just try not to do it too often :)

If you're gonna drink try and keep it to vodka or something too... no reason to drink beer that has like infinite carbs per glass.

Mike OD - Fitness Spotlight said...

Great post! As a person who also suffered really bad acne as a kid and into college (so much I still have scars from it)...I can attest to a "real food" diet cleaning up the skin....just wish I knew that so long ago when I was pumping in all the other crap into my mouth.

Mike OD

Boosie Girl said...

Cool blog, like it a lot! you and my friend Paleo Steve should connect. Here's his blog and testimony as well: http://stevepaleo.blogspot.com/

He has really yummy recipies, all Paleo and he's a CF nut like us!

Cheers.

Jay Hollenberg said...

Thanks, guys!

Boosie, you work out at CFHQ? Awesome!

Post a Comment